This article is about the American corporation. Old logo of Western union bitcoin Union in 1969-1990.
The Western Union Company is an American financial services and communications company. Its headquarters is in Meridian, Colorado, although the postal designation of nearby Englewood is used in its mailing address. Western Union has several divisions, with products such as person-to-person money transfer, money orders, business payments and commercial services. They offered standard “Cablegrams”, as well as more cheerful products such as Candygrams, Dollygrams, and Melodygrams. Western Union, as an industrialized monopoly, dominated the telegraph industry in the late 19th century.
It was the first communications empire and set a pattern for American-style communications businesses as they are known today. In 1851, the New York and Mississippi Valley Printing Telegraph Company was organized in Rochester, New York by Samuel L. Western Union bought out smaller companies rapidly, and by 1860 its lines reached from the East Coast to the Mississippi River, and from the Great Lakes to the Ohio River. In 1881 Gould took control of Western Union. Wilbur Bold, a 12-year-old Western Union messenger boy, Tampa, Florida, 1911. It introduced the first stock ticker in 1866, and a standardized time service in 1870. The next year, 1871, the company introduced its money transfer service, based on its extensive telegraph network.
1884, Western Union was one of the original eleven all-American companies tracked. By 1900, Western Union operated a million miles of telegraph lines and two international undersea cables. The company continued to grow, acquiring more than 500 smaller competitors. Its monopoly power was almost complete in 1943 when it bought Postal Telegraph, Inc. 1923 it introduced teletypewriters to join its branches. During World War II, families with sons in military service dreaded the Western Union “boy on his bicycle” to arrive at their home with a telegram from the War Department or the Navy Department. Western Union became the first American telecommunications corporation to maintain its own fleet of geosynchronous communications satellites, starting in 1974.